Base Dozen Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Base Dozen Forum

A board for discussion of the number twelve as the base of numeration in mathematics and physics.

Download the Base Dozen Forum as a mobile device app and subscribe to push notifications.

Dozenal Clock

Dozenal Clock
Local Dozenal Time:   
Local Decimal Time:   

Latest topics

» Phonetic Dozenal Number Names
MathJax EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 12:08 am by Phaethon

» Dozenal Number Words from Metric Prefixes
MathJax EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 3:38 pm by Phaethon

» Dozenalizing Metric
MathJax EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 12:23 pm by Phaethon

» Myon Dozenal Nomenclature
MathJax EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 3:18 pm by Phaethon

» Information per Area of Numerical Forms
MathJax EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 10:50 am by Phaethon

» Denominational Dozenal Numerals
MathJax EmptySun Jan 28, 2024 9:25 pm by Phaethon

» Proto-Indo-European Numbers
MathJax EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 4:25 pm by Phaethon

» Radix Economy for Alternating Bases
MathJax EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 5:41 pm by Phaethon

» Graduation Subdivisions
MathJax EmptySat Dec 02, 2023 12:58 pm by Phaethon

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Top posters

2 posters
  • Reply to topic

MathJax

Phaethon
Phaethon
Admin

MathJax Empty MathJax

Post by Phaethon Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Latex example:

\sum_{n = 4}^{n = 0}n^2
wendy.krieger
wendy.krieger

MathJax Empty Re: MathJax

Post by wendy.krieger Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am

To add Latex, you need to create a GreaseMonkey script, and enable it.  

Something like \( \LaTeX \) would then work.

To use LaTeX, you need to enclose the script in \ (  and \ ) [without the spaces].

\( \sum_{n = 4}^{n = 0}n^2 \)

Phaethon
Phaethon
Admin

MathJax Empty Testing maths notation

Post by Phaethon Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:38 am

I experimented with MathJax as JavaScript and through HTML yesterday. I had no success with the JavaScript way when I pasted the MathJax.js from notepad. Through HTML, I was able to get some very rudimentary maths notation to display correctly, but nothing that could not be done using ordinary formatting. The conversion of text such as \sum to the capital sigma letter and fractions in two levels did not work. I tried \(...\) notation. This may have been due to the configuration, which could be changed from $$ ... $$. As far as I could gather, MathJax uses a different input format MathML and does not convert LaTeX to HTML by itself. So, I will look into the Greasemonkey script you mention.
wendy.krieger
wendy.krieger

Post by wendy.krieger Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:50 am

I've modified the twelftyonline script to work here.  Go to the webpage listed below (with the usual prefix), and install the script.

http://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/388292-mathjax-for-base  

and install the script.  When you run it, and enclose your scripts in \ ( and \ ), latex will work.

This is the method i found from DozensOnline, it works here.

Last edited by wendy.krieger on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phaethon
Phaethon
Admin

Post by Phaethon Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:46 am

Okay, great, it's working for me now, after I put the MathJax JavaScript into the forum and the Greasemonkey I got from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/ added to Firefox. But it is also working in Microsoft Edge, and I did not add Greasemonkey there. So, hopefully this is showing correctly for all users of the forum irrespective of browser and without them having to download or install an add-on.
wendy.krieger
wendy.krieger

Post by wendy.krieger Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:07 am

At this end, I'm just running greasemonkey.

Your Latex did not convert, but mine did. I don't know what you're seeing.
Phaethon
Phaethon
Admin

Post by Phaethon Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:22 am

Yes, I know that the first notation did not convert, and this is because it lacks the proper delimiters. I do not want to go back and edit that first post, so as to leave it as evidence of what LaTeX looks like before convertion to proper mathematical display. The later notations do appear converted, and the delimiters used are no longer visible. They were \ ( ... \ ) without spaces for the inline maths, and double dollars for the between lines format.

I looked at Twelfty Online, but the LaTeX there still does not convert for me in either browser, because I must not have MathJax set up properly.

For a forum whose main topics are on mathematics and physics, correct display of mathematical notation should ideally be incorporated so that any visitor can see it. Any other kind of forum that does not enable this control is hardly worth investing much time into if you want to get you message across to all readers.
wendy.krieger
wendy.krieger

Post by wendy.krieger Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:00 pm

You don't need to load mathjax.

If you go to https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/368791-mathjax-for-tapatalk-twelftyonline  (url - paste to your url bar) there is a greasemonkey script that activates LaTeX for twelftyonline.  You really don't have to install MathJax on your script.

I have one for hi.gher.space, the higher dimensions space that I moderate.  It's a postprocessor.

The process here is to create a 'new user' thread, which goes step by step, setting up the LaTeX, and going through the user profile to untick things if you plan to be a regular visitor.  TwelftyOnline has one, as does DozensOnline.

Last edited by wendy.krieger on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phaethon
Phaethon
Admin

Post by Phaethon Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:50 pm

Following your instructions, I installed the greasyfork for Twelfty Online and the physical notation is now displaying correctly on Twelfty Online for me using Firefox.

It's good to have a second pair of eyes.
Phaethon
Phaethon
Admin

MathJax Empty Change font in MathJax

Post by Phaethon Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:58 pm

Yesterday, I tested a few methods for displaying a custom font on the forum. They all worked, except in mathematical LaTeX. I don't suppose anyone knows a way for specifying a custom font for some of the characters within mathematical captions displayed with MathJax.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 pm