Base Dozen Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Base Dozen Forum

A board for discussion of the number twelve as the base of numeration in mathematics and physics.

Download the Base Dozen Forum as a mobile device app and subscribe to push notifications.

Dozenal Clock

Dozenal Clock
Local Dozenal Time:   
Local Decimal Time:   

Latest topics

» Phonetic Dozenal Number Names
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 12:08 am by Phaethon

» Dozenal Number Words from Metric Prefixes
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 3:38 pm by Phaethon

» Dozenalizing Metric
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 12:23 pm by Phaethon

» Myon Dozenal Nomenclature
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 3:18 pm by Phaethon

» Information per Area of Numerical Forms
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 10:50 am by Phaethon

» Denominational Dozenal Numerals
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptySun Jan 28, 2024 9:25 pm by Phaethon

» Proto-Indo-European Numbers
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 4:25 pm by Phaethon

» Radix Economy for Alternating Bases
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 5:41 pm by Phaethon

» Graduation Subdivisions
Dozenal Roman Numerals EmptySat Dec 02, 2023 12:58 pm by Phaethon

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Top posters

• Reply to topic

Dozenal Roman Numerals

Phaethon
Phaethon
Admin

Dozenal Roman Numerals Empty Dozenal Roman Numerals

Post by Phaethon Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:57 pm

In the topic on graduation divisions for measurement scales at Base Dozen Forum, Metrology, Graduation Subdivisions, the proposal today in the third post there almost suggests specification of marks on the scale by additive and subtractive denominational numerals like Roman numerals but in base twelve, as follows:

Code:

|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
|       |   |   |       |       |   |   |       |
|           |           |           |           |
|                                               |
    I  II  III IIↅ Iↅ  ↅ  ↅI ↅII ↅIII IIO IO  O
0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  11  12

The symbol for the number six is related to the Greek alphanumeric character digamma or final sigma for the number six. It looks like the Gothic letter Jer 𐌾 unicode U+1033E.

For the number twelve, I have chosen the letter O, which in Roman numerals was used for the number eleven from the word onze. This word is similar to ounce related to twelve. Eleven is close to twelve, and the circle can be thought of as representing completion when twelve is reached.

To make an extensive system of denominational numerals for base twelve, more symbols are required, preferably enough to reach at least the third power of the base. There were Roman symbols for certain fractions which were dozenal divisions. Some of these symbols are as illustrated below:

Code:

|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
|     |  |  |     |     |  |  |     |
|        |        |        |        |
|                                   |
   "              ℈                 Ƶ
   Ƶ  Z  Ↄ  ZZ    Є                 -
   -  :  ∴  ∷  ⁙  S                 I
   I  II          ↅ

The rows of symbols underneath the graduation marks represent the fractions at the successive orders of magnitude or powers of the base twelve. These fractions have names in the Latin language as follows:

Symbol Fraction Decimally Name
)) 1/1728 siliqua
1/288 scrupulum
S  1/144 dimidia sextula
S  1/72 sextula
1/48 sicilicus
SS  1/36 binae sextula
Є 1/24 semuncia
- 1/12 uncia
S 1/2 semis
I 1 as

Since I do not have characters for the dimidia sextula and sextula appearing from their proper Unicodes, I will use Ƶ and Z for them. For the siliqua, I will use the double quotation mark ".

References:

(To be continued …)
Phaethon
Phaethon
Admin

Dozenal Roman Numerals Empty Re: Dozenal Roman Numerals

Post by Phaethon Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:18 pm

The uncia means a twelfth of any unit. Thus,

for length: 1 pes = twelve uncia,
for area: 1 jugerum = twelve uncia,
for volume: 1 litra which as a pound or pint of liquid = twelve ounces, but later sixteen fluid ounces, and
for weight: 1 libra = twelve uncia

Weight
Where the unit of weight was the pound or Roman libra, the uncia was an ounce. An Apothecaries' system of weight was based on the troy pound. The symbol for an ounce as used in medical prescriptions was ℥, which we could use for the uncia instead of a horizontal line or dot. The Apothecaries' pound symbol was ℔, a type of abbreviation from the Latin word libra. In the Apothecaries' notation, a dram or drachm symbolised by ʒ was an eighth of an ounce, and would be halfway between the dimidia sextula and sextula. It is more of a binary type of division than a dozenal one, and can be omitted from the dozenal scheme in a proposal for dozenal Roman style numerals. The scruple represented by the symbol ℈ was also part of the Apothecaries' notation, and represented half of a twelfth of an ounce. There were twenty grains to a scruple, but this is not a dozenal number and can be avoided. Instead, the siliqua or carat as a square dozenth of the uncia can be retained. The caret symbol ^ might be used for it as a pun. Another possibility for being easily accessible from a keyboard is ¦. There is a Unicode number 10192 for a Roman semuncia sign.

Currency
Denominations of currency as coins were based on weight and fineness of the metal. As they were more subject to devaluation through decreasing fineness, their ratios were not as stable as those of the weights. Instead of the symbol I for the unit, a sign for the pound, such as the currency symbols £ or ₤ Unicode U+20A4, could be used. From the division of the pound lira into the solidus and denarius, the pound, shilling and penny system of currency evolved. There were twenty shillings to the pound, and twelve pence to the shilling. If the multiple of the solidus in the pound were a dozenal number, we could employ the solidus sign / as a pun for that fraction. Alternatively, the long-S symbol ſ of the shilling might be used. There were two dozen of the siliqua to the solidus, according to the "Late Empire coin values (337–476)" in the Roman Currency article on Wikipedia. Other words for the solidus coin might be nomisma in Greek, which has Unicode 1018E, or bezant. As for Greek currency, there were six obol to a drachma. The Roman obolus was worth three of the siliqua, or a quarter of a twelfth of an uncia. As a pun, the obolus can be symbolised by the obelus, as a dagger mark †.

Denominational Numerals Proposal
The scheme aligned to the ruler from the previous post yesterday can be extended and decluttered as follows:
Code:

|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
|       |   |   |       |       |   |   |       |
|           |           |           |           |
|                                               |
    "       †           ℈                       Ƶ
    Ƶ ʒ ſ   Ↄ           Є                       ℥
    ℥       ∴           S                       £
    £                   ↅ

If the siliqua or carat is treated as the unit, then the denominations maintaining the same ratios are enough for the first three powers of the base twelve, as well as the half and quarter powers.

References:
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:44 am