Base Dozen Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Base Dozen Forum

A board for discussion of the number twelve as the base of numeration in mathematics and physics.

Download the Base Dozen Forum as a mobile device app and subscribe to push notifications.

Dozenal Clock

Dozenal Clock
Local Dozenal Time:   
Local Decimal Time:   

Latest topics

» Phonetic Dozenal Number Names
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 12:08 am by Phaethon

» Dozenal Number Words from Metric Prefixes
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 3:38 pm by Phaethon

» Dozenalizing Metric
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 12:23 pm by Phaethon

» Myon Dozenal Nomenclature
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 3:18 pm by Phaethon

» Information per Area of Numerical Forms
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 10:50 am by Phaethon

» Denominational Dozenal Numerals
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptySun Jan 28, 2024 9:25 pm by Phaethon

» Proto-Indo-European Numbers
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 4:25 pm by Phaethon

» Radix Economy for Alternating Bases
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 5:41 pm by Phaethon

» Graduation Subdivisions
Old School Textbook Duodecimal EmptySat Dec 02, 2023 12:58 pm by Phaethon

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Top posters

Old School Textbook Duodecimal

Phaethon
    Phaethon
    Admin

Old School Textbook Duodecimal Empty Old School Textbook Duodecimal

Post by Phaethon Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:59 pm

Today I discovered didactic text on base twelve that I had not noticed before in an old school mathematics textbook. A facsimile of one such page is shown in the following image:
    Old School Textbook Duodecimal New-Intermediate-Maths-Page36-PNG
    Facsimile of Page 36, New Intermediate Mathematics

The text mentions the greater likelihood of base twelve replacing decimal, extant use of base twelve in real practical spatial measurement computations, the ordinary English words dozen and gross for powers of twelve, some benefits of base twelve, that the extra numerals for ten and eleven "are usually written T and E", and examples of numbers in base twelve. The annotation scheme is the full word "twelve" written below and to the right of the number.

The page is among two dozen other pages on the topic of different bases and exercises on converting between them. The foreword has the year 1966. None of this material is on the school curriculum anymore, and I never encountered it myself when in school. It was quite surprising for me to see it as I had not even known about it being prescribed before. It was evidently more relevant before decimalisation when Imperial units of measure of feet and inches and monetary values of shillings and pence were still being used.

The example of the number that looks like the word TOE demonstrates the clumsiness of using letters to represent numerals.

References
    • New Intermediate Mathematics; by E. Gibson, T. K. Crohan; 1966; Section One, Systems of Numeration, page ③⓪⁏

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:50 am